First come first serve
Support of Short Term Scientific Missions (STSM) is one of the core objectives of Zinc-Net (http://www.cost.eu/domains_actions/fa/Actions/TD1304, http://zinc-net.com, COST Action TD1304). Eligible scientists (see below for criteria) working in the field of zinc biology are encouraged to plan visits at other eligible institutions (see below for criteria) in order to expand their knowledge and research skills, to strengthen international collaboration and to work on multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary projects aligning with the remits of Zinc-Net. STSM support is a unique opportunity to financially support young, early stage researchers (PhD students or up to 8 years after PhD) to build collaborations and learn new methodologies. Advanced stage researcher (over 8 years after PhD) may also apply to build collaboration and/or write grant proposals with Zinc-Net members.
Short Term Scientific Missions – what is supported?
- Financial support of scientific exchange visits of the applicant to a host institution
- Duration of supported missions should be 5-90 days, or up to 180 days for early stage researchers (ESR, PhD students or up to 8 years of experience after PhD)
- Visits should start not earlier than 4 weeks after submission but end
- before or on Friday 28 April 2017 (for visits starting in February, March or April 2017) or
- before or on Friday 1 September 2017 (for visits starting in May, June, July or August 2017)
- No changes in the dates nor in the amounts are possible once the applications have been approved by the Grant Holder.
- The applicant will be notified about the decision within 14 days after submission.
Applicants – who will be supported?
- Applicants must be engaged in a research programme as a postgraduate student or postdoctoral fellow or be employed by or officially affiliated to an institution or legal entity (=Home institution)
- Applications from early stage researchers (as described above) will be prioritised
Home and host institutions
Home institutions must be:
- a participating COST country (http://www.cost.eu/domains_actions/fa/Actions/TD1304?parties)
- or an approved near neighbours country (NNC) (http://www.cost.eu/about_cost/cost_countries/international_cooperation/nnc)
- or European RTD organisation (http://www.cost.eu/participate)
- another participating COST country
- or a cooperation state
- or a specific approved organisation
- A STSM grant is a fixed, reimbursable contribution based on the budget requested by the applicant and the evaluation of the application. The aim of this grant is to support the costs associated with the exchange visit. This grant may not necessarily cover all expenses; it is intended as a contribution to the travel and subsistence costs of the participant.
- IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT EXPENSES ARE REIMBURSED AFTER THE EXCHANGE IS COMPLETED AND A REPORT IS SUBMITTED AND ACCEPTED BY COST
- The calculation of the contribution for an STSM is based on the following rules:
- Reimbursement rate per day is a maximum EUR 160
- up to EUR 500 may be attributed for the travel expenses;
- maximum amount that can be claimed is EUR 2 500 in general
- in case of early career researchers (up to 8 years after PhD) exchange visits can be extended to up to 180 days, in which case the contribution can be raised to a maximum of EUR 3 500.
Criteria for grant allocation
- Projects must comply with the aim of the COST initiative
- Novelty and feasibility of the project
- Scientific reputation of the host institution / group
- Scientific record of the applicant
Applications – formal requirements
- Obtain written agreement of the host institution before submitting an application
- Completion of the online application form (https://e-services.cost.eu/stsm)
- The completed file as e-mail attachment together with the necessary supporting documents (CV, full work plan, list of publications, motivation letter, letter of support from the home institution etc.) should be sent to COSTTD1304@uclan.ac.uk
- Deadline for applications: No deadline – continuous evaluation
- For reimbursement:
- Submission of a short scientific report to COSTTD1304@uclan.ac.uk for approval within 30 days after the end date of the STSM (Purpose of the STSM; Description of the work carried out during the STSM; Description of the main results; Future collaboration with host institution (if applicable))
- Foreseen publications/articles resulting from the STSM (if applicable)
- Confirmation by the host institution of the successful STSM execution
- Description of the project in 3-5 sentences, targeting a general audience